Sunday, March 02, 2008

Sidhu to star in Punjabi movie

After cricket, politics, commentary and anchoring, Navjot Singh Sidhu is all set to make his debut on the silver screen with his trademark laughter and punchy anecdotes in a few months' time from now.

"I am honoured to be part of this crew and this medium, which is the most powerful. Life never goes by plans. I never thought or worked on my entry into politics. It just happened, like my entry in this film," Sidhu said over phone on Thursday.

MP from Amritsar, Sidhu will be a part of Punjabi film Mera Pind-My Home, which also stars Punjabi singer-turned-actor Harbhajan Mann, directed by Manmohan Singh.

"The theme of Mera Pind-My Home is closer to my heart and being a Punjabi myself, I can relate to my character in the film more emphatically than anyone else.

"It will be a learning experience with a seasoned director like Manmohan and my brother Harbhajan Mann with whom I look forward to have a great working experience on the sets," he said.

A die-hard fan of Academy Award winner Al Pacino, Bollywood actors Amitabh Bachchan and Mallika Sherawat, Sidhu clarified that he was not lured by money and was motivated by the role offered to him.

"My role in the movie, which is about a disillusioned youth in Punjab, doesn't require me to be someone else. It suits me beautifully," he said, adding that "I had almost 200 odd movie offers but nothing in terms of script could touch me."

The movie will be produced by Adlabs and Punj-Aab Movies.